Monday, March 13, 2017

Ruby

Last year the Arons family grew when we purchased our new puppy, Ruby. When we first brought Ruby home she was minuscule because she only weighed two pounds. We all walked around my house cautiously because we were afraid that we would step on her! Ruby is a feisty and rambunctious dog because she loves to run all over my house and play with her many toys. In the short time that Ruby has been a member of our family she has truly captured all of our hearts. When Ruby was a puppy she went to obedience school to learn how to do tricks such as rolling over, siting, and staying. My family and I discovered that Ruby loves playing in the snow. During the enormous  storm last month she ran around my backyard playing in the snow.


Ruby the day we brought her home. 


Vocabulary:
Minuscule: (adjective) very small.
Cautiously: (adjective) careful about avoiding danger.
Feisty: (adjective) very lively and aggressive.
Rambunctious: (adjective) uncontrolled in a way that is playful or full of energy.
Captured: (noun) the act of getting control of something.
Obedience: (noun) the act of following commands.
Enormous: (adjective) huge.


Vocabulary Activity:
Choose the best choice for each of the following multiple choice questions.
1. Which picture most clearly represents the word minuscule?
A.Image result for big dog clip art        B. 
           


2. Which synonym most clearly represents the word cautiously?
A. Recklessly
B. Carefully


3. What word means the opposite of the word enormous?
A. Tiny
B. Huge

Grammar Point:
In the paragraph above I used a bunch adjectives to describe my dog Ruby. For example I said, "When we first brought Ruby home she was minuscule because she only weighed two pounds." However, if I wanted to say the opposite, that Ruby was huge I could have used an antonym, or a word that means the opposite. For example, I could have said, "Ruby was so enormous" if I wanted to use an antonym.





Grammar Activity:
Fill in the blank with the antonym of the word in the parenthesis.
1. I couldn't stay away (asleep) ____________________ during the movie.
2. The plane will (leave) __________________at 4pm.
3. I ate my ice cream the (slowest) _____________________.
4. Jessie collected the (least) _________________ amount of seashells.
5. My team is (disappointed) _______________________that we won the fist basketball game of the season.
6. The lion is a (tame) _________________________ animal.
7. My dad helped me (break) ____________________ my favorite toy.









2 comments:

  1. Ruby is so cute! I love her name. I'm sure she was happy yesterday with all the snow we got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your dog story and the explanation of antonyms.

    ReplyDelete